Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HW 8- Comments Round 2

Maggie:

Maggie,
I must say, the second half of your video reminds me of the old horror movie Halloween, and countless horror movies after it, where you see everything from the killers point of view. People thought this would warp people's minds and I think it sets the perfect mood here and casts a great tone to the video.
It seemed to me that your opinion was left open ended on digital-representational-devices. You said that for yourself, that they are boring and don't seem to lead to much without another person involved, but for somebody like your sister that they can act as tool to help gather together information.
I can connect this to something that many people have stated in class, that many of these devices can be good or bad. You are essentially saying the same thing, that they have many different uses and that it just depends on the how.
I think that in order to try and take this to the next step, one has to consider that people are really the ones in control of al of these devices. If people find that these devices are rotting away at our culture, are harmful to our youth, or that they are the greatest thing to happen in the history of ever, they have to see what that says about our society, because these are merely tools that we use to represent our inner selves, or at the very least, an aspect of who we are.
This really starts to make me think about how we have to means to direct civilization in any direction we see fit, and in connecting it David Banach, who we are studying in Manley's English class, people have to take more responsibility for the way they act online because it affects everybody eventually and the way the world turns (Metaphorically of course).
I really liked your post, even if it was just a little tidbit it led me to find a lot of interesting concepts that I think many people are not aware of, or if they are, ignore.
Thanks for the insights,
Henry

Kate:

Kate,
It took me about a minute to even realize where you were in your video, something that some may see as an error on your part but I really think it helps to show how the viewer becomes inconsequential and the TV engrosses you.
You really come off as being in a state of disbelief, amazed that this "zombie" is in fact you and that this is the way you are now, instead of how you used to read or draw. Even though, with this state of attentiveness, you are still connected to the real world by your cat, which I think is good, everybody needs a little something to keep them connected to the real world when immersed so fully in the digital.
Your ideas on the Wii are mostly the mainstream idea and the image that they try to project with the marketing executives. As a parent you say you would not want your son to X-Box or PSP, but the reality of the situation is that even a Wii would leave your son pretty vegetative.
In order to explore your idea, I feel that it would be nice to have a video of somebody playing an X-Box and another video of the same person playing Wii, to see how they react differently. I agree that parents have to take responsibility, but at a certain point it has to have some give and take and the child should realize the error of their ways, which leads to the classic "There are no bad students, only bad teachers" which can be taken as the kids are not learning here but it is the parents fault, or the teacher if you will, which is what you are proposing. The only solution for this would be a way of cutting down the gameplay or to play Wii, which by the way, only has a couple of games that require more than an arm flick to trigger the controls.
Watching you watch TV makes me think about how my eyes were drawn straight to the TV and I knew what you were watching even without having ever watched it (Greys Anatomy if I am correct). I think that this shows that we focus so much on the digital world even if irrelevant to us, and that for me specifically, that I can connect with this vegetative state, which is, let's be honest, not good.
I liked you post and enjoyed stumbling onto it. Even without proposing points, your post still makes me think about so much and for that, I thank you.
Thanks for the insights,
Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment