Monday, March 1, 2010

HW 42- Significance

Should high school curriculum be flexible? Should the students be able to adjust their classes to learn what they are interested instead of what the system says? Should teachers gear their classes towards their students interests?
Personally I feel this is crucial to every student but that is besides the point. I am interested in this specifically because I personally feel like much of what I am learning is not very important to what I want to do in life. Take for instance math, which is teaching things about polar coordinates and derivatives. Regardless of personal interest, neither of these are particularly relevant to what I want to do in life, which is to either be a writer or an artist (Painting or drawing). Now, while math might not be a class that be flexed to my interests, it should be replaceable with another course based on interest, and be a non-mandatory class. S.O.F. in particular is one of very few schools to require it, but schools in California only require two years of Math, while New York requires three. I feel it is largely irrelevant at this point and we shouldn't have to take it.
In terms of society, much of what we learn in high school is also irrelevant. A large percentage of jobs do not require knowledge of projectile motion or derivatives. So why do we learn it? I feel that making students learn these things is like trying to breed us towards a specific path, which makes me feel controlled and bottled up, unable to be myself. While this feeling is minor for myself, I know many people feel this same sensation on a larger scale so why does the school system force this? Do they really need everybody to be an automaton to their demands?

Will be finished as soon as possible, sorry for the delay, my computer broke and the home desktop does not work for editing existing posts or linking.

No comments:

Post a Comment